Sunday, January 12, 2020

My Friend Doesn't Want Me to Lose Weight

So I (19F) began documenting my weight loss at the beginning of this year (CW: 198, 5'7) in the hopes of keeping myself accountable. I go to the gym twice a week, calorie count to my deficit, and so far I've made progress since the 3rd of this month. (-7 lbs!) But in the middle of all this, I began to realize who was supportive and who wasn't. There's one friend in particular whose mindset is very "body positive"; in that overweight people are perfectly fine how they are, and if you're overweight and unhappy about it, you're inherently fatphobic.

But I'm not fatphobic. I think overweight people should be treated with the same respect as everyone else. I mean, I should know, I am considered obese for my height. I was always overweight as a kid. I know the things that other people like me go through. But as someone whose family is also largely overweight, and has a history of heart problems, I wanted to change my health for the better. I see how people's livelihoods change on this sub in particular, among other weight loss subs, and I wanted that for myself.

How do I reason with this kind of rhetoric? Should I even reason with it at all?

submitted by /u/liccquid
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2uJThDt

No comments:

Post a Comment