Monday, January 20, 2020

NSV - I ran for a kilometre nonstop for the first time in my life.

I (22F) have been big my whole life. I literally have not been a healthy weight since I was eight years old. This year I decided to focus more on walking/running, and I wasn't surprised to find I couldn't run for more than a minute at a time.

I started by walking at my own slow, comfortable pace on the treadmill to get my body used to moving. When I could walk 3-4 kms semi comfortably, I started to do jogging intervals for 45 seconds to a minute. It KILLED me. I felt so huge and embarrassed and felt like everyone was judging me for how unfit I am. And I wasn't improving - no matter how much I walked or many times a week I went to the gym, I still could not run for more than a minute without my lungs closing up and game over.

There was a post on here not long ago about how you have to run slow before you can run fast, and as obvious as that sounds, I realised my problem might be in HOW I was running. I was going from a comfortable walking pace (4.5 - 5.0) to a running pace (9+) and not being able to push past that one minute barrier. I decided to try jogging a bit slower first and see whether it made a difference.

Within two weeks I was running upwards of 4 minutes. Yesterday I jogged my first full kilometre - just under 10 minutes. I've never in my life been able to jog for that long before, and if I was still trying to sprint then I would have given up by now and resigned myself to maybe trying to get fit next year. It's really made a massive difference.

So, if you're like me and only just starting on your fitness journey, and can't run to save your life - maybe try running slower first. This weight loss thing is a marathon, not a sprint, so you should work out that way too.

submitted by /u/demurestsafe13
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2GljLxP

No comments:

Post a Comment