Tuesday, January 14, 2020

When I tell people I'm not "doing keto"

OK first of all I have to say that I don't think there's anything wrong with eating low-carb. If it works for you, do it. Disclaimer's out of the way!

Seriously, what the heck is going on? A bit of backstory...I'm a 6'0" 31 year old guy and I've been overweight pretty much my whole life. I was around 230 in college until I lost down to 205ish, then slowly crept up to 265 at the start of September this year. I finally put two and two together and realized that while I have tried to lose weight in the past, I always wanted to do it with some kind of "gimmick." So I decided to do it the old fashioned way and just pay attention to what I'm eating. If it's healthy, I'll eat it, no artificial restrictions. Simple, consistent, effective. This has gotten me down to 225 as of this week.

So I'm at the point where even the people who see me every day have noticed how much weight I've lost. As many of you have experienced, a lot of people ask me what I've been doing, but they really don't seem to like my answer. At least half of the people who ask me about it are taken aback when I tell them that yes, I still eat carbs, and yes, I still eat spaghetti, yes, I do eat bread.

More than one person has even told me that "it's not possible to lose weight when you eat a lot of carbs, it's science." Like there's some kind of trick to weight loss that only makes it possible to do if you're peeing ketones.

The point of this silly little anecdote isn't to bash on low-carb diets, but to highlight what I saw as the major roadblock to me losing any weight and getting healthier. I'd find one new diet or eating pattern, convince myself that that was the one that was going to work, and that I'd do it and go HARD at it until I ran out of steam. I'd cut out all carbs from my diet, do crazy IF regimens, whatever you can think of. I'm convinced at this point that they're all just different ways to arrive at the same thing:

Be healthy, don't eat too much, and move your body. Thanks for listening.

submitted by /u/The_Muffintime
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3acJ8zi

No comments:

Post a Comment