Saturday, February 1, 2020

How not to "sweat" weight loss?

I'm sure a lot of us on here have a serious emotional connection tied up in our feelings about weight loss and our journeys. To share a bit of my own personal story, I have a mother with severe undiagnosed body dysmorphic disorder. As a young girl, I obviously internalized a lot of what she said. This has made me incredibly anxious about the concept of weight loss for, well, my entire life...all while I gain more weight due to emotional eating.

I decided that I would use 2020 as a starting point to seriously change my attitude about what it means to lose weight. Telling myself "it's for health" justifies it well for me, because I do have health problems directly related to my weight that would seriously benefit from me losing like, 50% of my body mass, but then just adds the pressure of "every day I don't do well, I'm taking a year off my life?" Of course, that self-imposed pressure makes me fall off the wagon, fall into the same unhealthy cycles, etc.

What has worked for you to get over the mental hump of how significant starting a weight loss journey is? There must be a way to find the happy medium between the emotional commitment and expectations and keeping a clear, positive head about it. Everything I read says "weight loss is a lifestyle / calories in - calories out", which I do agree with, but that doesn't seem to soothe my anxiety. All the answers are out there telling me to just cool it, set obtainable goals, and make it a habit. My own fears are getting in the way of doing what I know is right.

How have you just...let go and allowed yourself to make progress? I'm so bored of being self-destructive, and I know improving my weight and fitness level will be extremely beneficial in many ways, including mental health. I want to connect the motivation with the follow-through. Maybe I have to just start extremely small? I keep feeling like I'm just barely dipping my toe in as it is, but my brain keeps tricking me into thinking it's a pointless endeavor.

Maybe I'm just too much of a negative person to start out with though! Just trying to do less harm to everyone, and I'm finally letting myself be included with them. I want to be a better person overall, and I truly think proving to myself that I can be strong enough to overcome my hang-ups about this would give me a lot of much-needed self-esteem and confidence, not solving all my problems, of course, but it would certainly make me feel more empowered to face other big life things without fear. :~)

submitted by /u/420kitties
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OjzUbg

No comments:

Post a Comment