Monday, February 3, 2020

Is it wrong for me to lie about how I lost weight?

Kind of a long story so TLDR at the bottom, also- this is a throwaway just in case lol

I moved into college last fall and I've been dieting/exercising pretty intensively for a few months now, but I really don't talk about/mention it much, so most of my friends don't know. I've since dropped about 25 lbs, which is relatively a lot since I'm 5'1. When people ask me about how I've done it and I tell them (counting calories, exercising a lot, a little bit of IF) I tend to get diet-shamed and generally get a cold reaction. I've seen a lot of people (especially women, though it can definitely still happen to men) post about how friends and acquaintances have been jealous/rude after they lose weight. However, I discovered (partially on accident) that if I brush it off as something I didn't mean to do or did accidentally, people don't really react as negatively (e.g. "Oh it was just quicker to walk every day than wait for the bus", "I'm just so busy I snack less", "Dining hall food isn't that good"). Since realizing this, I went home for winter break and played off my weight loss as mainly accidental just to avoid weird diet questions/comments. I didn't really see any problem with this, but my sister (who knows I've actually really been trying to lose the weight) took a lot of issue with it and said I should "own my hard work". It doesn't get brought up a lot, so I feel fine with the small fib, but is my sister right? Is it unfair to me or to the people I'm talking to lie about how I lost weight? I just want to avoid weird/awkward situations.

TL;DR: I lied and said I lost the weight on accident. Am I in the wrong?

submitted by /u/hello-im-secret
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2uZwlAb

No comments:

Post a Comment