Friday, February 14, 2020

Starting Over and Just Need Advice and Support System

I want to lose weight again. I am 5'6. I was down 155lbs in college, which honestly is the just the upper end of a healthy BMI. 9 years later, I am 185lbs. I could give you a million excuses but that doesn't matter now. Gaining 30lbs isn't the worst thing in the world to me. My doctor, who is a tiny bird-like lady, looked me in the eyes after doing blood work and said, "Looks like you're healthy." As in, I'm not showing signs of anything serious like chronic illness or diabetes. This doesn't mean I want to be complacent nor do I think I'm at a healthy weight---I'm just not suffering from internal illnesses.

I'm almost 29 and I want to get in the best physical shape in my life. My goal is to lose 20lbs this year (165lbs) and 10lbs next year (155lbs). Or it can be split 15lbs and 15lbs because I want to do this slowly and sustainably. I want to get in the best physical shape of my life, but I truly think that a lot of the weight loss journey is mental and emotional.

(Edit: I omitted a question that I realized was silly in retrospect)

How do I let go of negative beliefs my parents fed me that impact how I view myself? I have natural curves, even at my healthiest weight, and I let my parents make me feel self-conscious about that.

How do I stay consistent in a new lifestyle change?

It's hard to get motivated because of the body positive movement. Honestly? The war on diet culture has, on one hand helped me with disordered eating habits, but on the other hand I feel like I'm losing my self-control. Where do I find the balance between loving myself but caring about my nutrition again? I don't want to love myself into "eating whatever I want" and being a couch potato. I can't talk about this publicly because a lot of people assume if you go on a diet, you're against the body positive movement (See: Cassey Ho a.k.a. blogilates).

submitted by /u/beesontheoffbeat
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2tViCtY

No comments:

Post a Comment