Monday, February 10, 2020

Weight Loss, Alcoholism and Antidepressants

I'm having an extra hard time with it lately. The sobriety is getting easier as more time passes, but your body craves the sugar that you used to ingest from alcohol quite a lot in the first few months. And in the wake of my blossoming long term sobriety, I'm on a new course of antidepressants that have an extremely commonly known side effect of appetite increase.

So I'm on a downward swing. I lost ten pounds from my goal weight and I've put them all back on. Sometimes when I'm at a real low with my mental health, I ask myself when I'm going to get off this ride - but what I really want to know is how to get on the ride of weight loss, and how to stay on it.

I'm poor, so therapy is out of the window. I have a full time job and I'm part time attending university, so I have no free time for hobbies (besides recreational ink drawings and occasional embroidery.)

I found myself stood at the chocolate aisle in the store for a solid fifteen minutes today. I didn't buy anything. But there's a void to fill, you know? And I started off with sweets, followed on with vodka, and I'm plodding along with junk food and mirtazapine as a fully developed and recovering alcoholic at the fresh age of 23. For a while, I was on a litre of vodka each day. I don't miss that. Apart from somedays, I kinda do.

Sometimes when I'm actively binging on food, I'll be consciously aware that I don't enjoy the food, and that this isn't filling the void. It feels helpless. I wish I could reach down into that void and try to fill it with my fist, or something.

Any advice, loseit? Every success story here always seems so positive, and things like "never drink your calories" and "calories in, calories out" don't seem to mean anything when your mental health is torn to shreds. But if you have no feasible method for recovery from mental health problems, how do you lose weight while still managing to keep yourself together?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/deadmuesli
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37g6ykT

No comments:

Post a Comment