Saturday, April 11, 2020

...and I am back

Three years ago I went from 210 lbs (92kg) to 175 lb (80kg). I am 5'4" (1.66m) and so I was kinda happy to have half of the weight loss behind me. I graduated and got an office job and didn't see my girlfriend as often anymore, now I am at my heaviest at 240lbs (101.7 kg). I am so dang angry with myself to have let it come that far but luckily, I know what worked for me the first time I actually lost it so I'll just do that. I thought I'd share. Of course, not all tips are for everyone but maybe someone wants to hear them.

Food in general

I tried losing weight without telling my family since they aren't a big fan of it. My parents are overweight themself and would try to offer me much of candy or putting extra much on my plate, so I had to somehow try to avoid it. I prepared my own meals for school and looked that it was in a nice calorie range.

  • Lifesum really helped me.
    I had the pro version but the version for free is good as well. Basically, it doesn't only tell you if your meal has enough calories (I tend to not eat enough while dieting) it only tells you if it has enough fat, protein and carbs. It gives you smileys, depending on how great your meal was. In the premium version, it also tells you why the smileys are that way and you can choose some other diets and recipes, but seriously, the free version is awesome too!
  • I tried to cut down on snacks unless I was really hungry and not even a glass of water would help.
  • I concentrated on eating.
    It's such a ridiculous thing and I didn't believe it at first but I switched off my radio/TV/computer during eating and it really helped me to appreciate the food. I don't need to see the latest Blacklist season while eating.
  • Full equalled stop.
    I got so much of that "People are starving in Africa, you ungrateful child" crap as a kid, so much even that I'd rather throw up than leave my plate unfinished. I stopped doing that. As soon as I felt full, I stopped

Eating out

  • I picked my battles.
    My family would never eat out and order less than three courses which was a problem for me for a long time. But it's manageable: Either I took soup for a starter (broth) or a light salad. Instead fo pasta, I took the salmon, etc. Dessert was tricky but the sorbet was my best friend, honestly
  • I skipped dessert
    When not out with my family but with friends I only cut the dessert, never the starter.

Candy

  • I ate a row of chocolate on my first day.
    I know, it sounds paradox because we would like to eat healthy, right? But I do like some chocolate now and then and all my previous attempts failed because I ate some candy and gave it up right away. The idea of this is to maintain a healthy calorie intake while I am not freaking out after eating a few gummy bears. This way, I didn't quit after a birthday party or Christmas.
  • I allowed myself to eat candy, but only the recommended serving sizes.
    Basically, I would open my chocolate bar or gummy bears or whatever and I would put them into their serving sizes (17 gummy bears a serving, I remember that). I'd put them in little glasses and put them away from view. I was allowed one serving a day. If I remembered I had candy lying around I could take the glass and eat them. Suddenly, my gummy bears I adore lasted a whole weak instead of half an hour, sometimes even two because I completely forgot about them.

Exercise

  • I started using 8Fit.
    8Fit is another high-intensity program like seven. It really helped me since I am someone who has a lot of excuses to not exercise and "no time" is the top one. But I can't keep a straight face while saying I don't have eight minutes. It also has a premium version but I used the free one and I really liked it. You can start with "beginner" and they make you keep going. Also, you can exchange some exercises with another one if you don't feel like it.
  • Couch to 5k is nice, too.
    I know there are a million apps like that. This one was the only one that cost money right away ($2.99, I think). Basically, it's a nine weeks plan that even lets beginners master a 5 miles run. You can choose between a few instructers (average girl, sports girl, drill sergeant, unicorn, zombie) and they will at first tell you when to run and when to walk, the intensity obviously increases but it's baby steps and I liked that as a person that hated running.
  • Public transport was only an emergency plan.
    I live in a small town (10'000) and to walk to the shop took about half an hour. I started walking that distance and only use public transport for things further away than 35 minutes by foot.

Friends, Cinema and other stuff

  • I had a very fit friend and she made me look into things that were incredible!
    As I said, I grew up in a family that was overweight from the start. I was baffled when we were at the cinema and my friend just ordered some diet coke. The idea of not ordering any nachos or popcorn had really never occurred to me or the fact that you could in fact just meet to walk around a bit without going to the store and get some ice cream to go. Every time I was out I asked myself: Am I hungry? Do I need food or do I think it's polite to eat now? Life-changing.

Of course, I still gained weight after my office job and falling back into old habits, so it's obviously not, without flaw but I will try to start these habits again and hope I could help someone along the way!

submitted by /u/InBetweenStudent
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3c81Msd

No comments:

Post a Comment