Friday, June 25, 2021

Childhood food scarcity and weight loss

Mods please delete if not appropriate (this is my first post), but this was a huge realization for me.

I grew up poor and overweight and only very recently realized that my disordered eating was the result of food insecurity as a child. Food was either scarce, or the only thing we had access to because of subsidies. My birthday presents growing up were usually a couple of my favorite foods/snacks that were food stamps eligible. It was one of the only ways we had to celebrate anything, and I developed bad habits that lasted well into adulthood.

Coming to terms with this over the last year has had a huge impact on my current attempt to lose weight. I'm 20 pounds down using CICO and it hasn't been difficult because I now understand my relationship with food and have addressed that trauma. Seeing this Bon Appétit article helped me know that I'm not alone, or weird, or broken.

So, as I've seen on this sub time and again as I've lurked: identify and treat your trauma, and know that you're not alone. It makes a huge difference.

submitted by /u/Abject-Owl781
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2U501bv

No comments:

Post a Comment