Friday, January 17, 2020

Pro-tip for finding TDEE based on your Fitbit/Are you really sedentary?

Or any other heart rate tracker.

I am very short and not so overweight at this point that my sedentary TDEE getting pretty low. I am also breastfeeding a toddler, which further complicates my hunger levels and calories burned. For months, I have been angry at my sedentary TDEE, which is ~1,500 calories. I keep thinking to myself, "How am I supposed to cut 500 off THAT? so I cut 250 and I can't last more than a morning trying to spread out those calories, so I will just eat based on hunger and I will be fat forever."

Over Christmas (3 weeks of vacation), I was eating around 2,000 a day and maintaining. That shouldn't be right... my tdee is 1,500, how am i maintaining at an amount i should be gaining 1 lb a week at? Even with the minimal amounts my toddler is breastfeeding, this doesn't sound right.

Spoiler: it wasn't.

As I was going through my fitbit app the other night, I realized i hit and exceeded my "calories burned" goal every day, sometimes just scraping past 1,800, other days hitting 2,400 or higher. I had this sudden realization that my lifestyle is not "sedentary" at all. I have a toddler, a job, two dogs, I love to exercise... plus breastfeeding (which again is minimal but impacts my hunger more than anything). When I am eating 1,500 calories AND breastfeeding, my deficit is closer to 750. WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?!

Knowing that my TDEE is much higher than I expected has significantly changed my mindset and how I view my calories. Before, I thought eating 1,500 was a personal failure and I could not, for the life of me, figure out why my "maintenance" calories were so difficult to stick to. Had I been persistent, I would have seen a loss, but instead I regularly ate over my allowance in a "woe is me, i'll never lose weight" kind of way.

Anyways, I am back to losing weight with over two lost in two weeks, proving accurate that I do have at least a 500+ deficit.

Just thought I would share with you, if nothing else, it's helping how I view my calories, which is a huge part of weight loss!

tl;dr: thought I was a lazy bum but I'm not.

submitted by /u/Inorganic-Marzipan
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2szgpUp

No comments:

Post a Comment