Wednesday, February 12, 2020

How can I help my mum?

My mother is 44, 170cm and currently 165kgs. I am 21 years old and she has been obese for majority of my life. About 10 years ago I’d say she lost well over 50kgs. Her weight was double digits and she was looking great. This weight loss only lasted about a year or two.

Since then she’s taken on destructive forms of weight loss. She’s always using slim teas, pills, powders, whatever gimmick you can name she uses it. These products give her violent diarrhoea.

I am concerned for her wellbeing. She has been in the process of getting weight loss surgery but I don’t see the need for such an extreme. In my eyes she does not make a genuine effort to lose weight. She will join a gym and go for about a week or two and then just not go for months. She hasn’t changed her eating habits either.

When I was on a fitness journey she was very critical of me and rude. I hoped it would be something we could have done together, however she put me down constantly. She’d call me fat (I’m about 65-70kgs) and make fun of me for eating healthy. Ever since I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in late 2019 I have tried to make a real effort to be more active. I’ve asked her to join me but she declines. She says it is too hard. I can barely walk up a flight of stares without being in pain so I do understand how it is hard for her. But I am just sad she doesn’t at least give it a go

I am just not sure if there’s a way I can tell her how concerned I am. My youngest sibling is 5 and I am afraid my mum won’t be around to see her grow up. I fear that even if she gets weight loss surgery nothing will change. I wanted to suggest that she goes to counselling because I think her poor mental health is a major factor in obesity. Sometimes it just seems like she doesn’t really want to change. I understand it is probably extremely difficult but the first time she lost the weight by consistently eating healthy and exercising

submitted by /u/yellowstarrynight
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2vpR1BK

No comments:

Post a Comment