Tuesday, February 11, 2020

My brother is all of a sudden a health professional

Okay, so I’m a bit unsure if this is okay to post here, I just became aware of this subreddit and I haven’t been able to talk about this issue with anyone else.

I’ve been dealing with bad eating since I was around 8 years old due to my moms intense eating disorder throughout my childhood. That’s not the point, it’s just a bit of a background. Last year, after trying to lose weight for years, I managed to go from 102kgs to 88kg. I did this on a keto diet and I was so happy with myself. I’m still working on it, but after having talked to several doctors and having tried endless of diets I found one that worked for me. My brother who also was a victim to my moms bad eating habits manage to lose weight. I am beyond happy for him because it had gotten to the point where my dad would talk shit about him to me behind his back. He did this with the help of two things: 1. He was put on some medication (for something unrelated to weight loss) that killed his appetite and 2. He quit sugar. I’m not saying that quitting sugar wasn’t a huge part of his weight loss. What is bothering me is that in half the time that I lost 14 kilos, he lost 20 and is blaming it all on the sugar and is now harassing me. I went out to celebrate my birthday with two friends a few weeks ago and I invited him to join. I said I was getting ice cream and he started going on about how I had to quit sugar if I wanted to lose more weight and that I should be ashamed. These two friends do not know about my weight loss struggle, we’re not close in that way, so I felt really shitty. Having to defend why I wanted to have ice cream on my birthday. He hasn’t had sugar in a year now and is bragging about it. At birthdays he will go over to you and tell you his impressive weight loss and tell you how bad sugar is. Making everyone uncomfortable and feel bad. I’m glad that he has the strength to completely cut out sugar, but it’s really demotivating for me how he makes me feel. Sugar has always been my go to when life has gone sour. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety most of my life and sugar has been my coping mechanism. I have massively reduced my intake, but I’m not gonna cut it out completely. I know how to portion control and it’s not an issue. I haven’t binged in months, so for him to judging me like that is hard because he fails to see what I consider insane improvements. When I was keto I went months without sugar, but that’s not good enough for him.

Anyways, I’m sorry if this doesn’t belong here, I just really needed to get it off my chest. I don’t live with my brother so it’s not an everyday struggle, but it’s still hard.

submitted by /u/Noffenass
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/31MDeRV

No comments:

Post a Comment