Saturday, February 15, 2020

Nine months in, 110lbs down

My previous post is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/dk41n0/update_five_months_in_66_pounds_down/

So when I started trying to lose weight on May 17th, 2019, I really wasn't sure if I'd get anywhere with it. I had tried a couple of times previously to lose weight and nothing really ever stuck. I'd start with good intentions and motivation but the motivation would always inevitably run out and I'd just slip back into old habits. It really is true that motivation can't be counted on, but telling people you have to "have discipline" doesn't necessarily tell them much. You have to find ways to tweak your habits that you can live with until they've become something healthier that you can stick with. What that entails is going to be different for everyone. In my experience, I had to be very honest with myself about my weaknesses so I could find ways to work around them; I don't keep snacks in my apartment or more than 2-3 days worth of food at any given time because I know I will struggle not to snack around if its available.

I still have to lose 67 more pounds to hit my goal weight, but as of today I have lost 110 pounds. So I'm well past halfway there and the changes I have made have become habitual. I'm eating around 1,500 calories a day, and I'm eating more green veggies and lean protein. I mostly stick to drinking water or unsweetened tea, with an occasional diet soda as a treat, so I don't drink calories at all anymore aside from a rare beer here or there.

In my last post, I talked about how much I felt better at the time having lost 66 pounds, and I still feel noticeably better than I did even then, but what's really been the main difference between then and now is how people respond to me. It really is true when people say when you are very obese that you are basically invisible to people, and I've been used to being invisible most of my life, so it is a bit of a shock as I'm slowly becoming less so. I have a lot of really mixed feelings about the situation, but I do get the feeling that a lot of people who were outright dismissive of me are now giving me the time of day if not some level of basic respect. I have also had a few times lately where I have been flirted with and I probably looked like a deer in the headlights, because in my head I'm not someone that gets flirted with and I still don't expect to get that kind of attention. I suppose I have learned that if someone is genuinely flirting with you they don't tend to make it very subtle.

Honestly, in light of the differences in how I'm treated becoming more pronounced here lately, I've found that this point in my weight loss journey is even more emotional than the first several months were. I'm torn between being ecstatic about my progress, upset with the feeling that I wasted so much of my youth being obese, and confused by the changes in the way people are treating me, and uneasy knowing I still have a good amount of weight to still lose and all of the changes are probably going to become even more pronounced between now and my goal weight.

I never previously uploaded any pictures, but having passed the 100 pound mark I figure now is a good time to show some, at least to be helpful to people with similar starting stats to get an idea of what to expect at ~100 pounds down.

Starting stats were 25 year old male, 6'0", 357 pounds. Current stats are 25 year old male, 6'0", 247 pounds.

https://i.imgur.com/WKiu98E.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nC48YTK.jpg

submitted by /u/MagnificentParsley
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2HoqU0E

No comments:

Post a Comment