Sunday, February 9, 2020

Sleep Quality and Weight Loss

Im a 23 years old woman (5'3") and I've been actively losing weight for about 5 years and went from my highest weight of 250 to 167 over the course of 2 years. I've stayed within the same 10 pounds for the past 3 years (164-174 ) and I could not seem to get past this plateau.

I'm a very active person and my job as a housekeeper for 3 years kept me very busy along with strength training and HIIT workouts but my diet always needed improvement. I just could never seem to silence my cravings for higher calorie foods and it felt as though they were screaming my name. I would give in almost everytime and felt so burdened by my inability to exert self control.

After 3 years of struggling to make any progress and going though major life changes (quitting job and going back to college full time) I settled at a weight of 172 for the entire month January.

But 2 weeks ago I got a new bed, and now everything has changed. I did not realize how poor i was sleeping until my husband and I made the investment for a new mattress. We went from sleeping on a full size memory foam mattress that made me sleep way to warm, to a king size firm spring mattress.

The difference is night and day and even after the first night of sleeping on that mattress my cravings for higher calorie foods were greatly diminished. After a week and a half I went from 172.6 to 167.2 with very little struggle or effort, and I continue to keep losing weight.

I can exert the self control I've needed for a long time because my body is actually able to rest properly. Coconut chicken is my weakness and I used to eat it 2 times a week at least, and I haven't even craved it since we got this new mattress. I've even planned out my cheat meals for every few weeks and I don't feel any desire to actively eat different foods than my diet planned foods until those times.

Diet is the most important thing when it comes to losing weight and developing a healthy lifestyle (along with exercise), it all starts in the kitchen. But I would argue that your sleep quality has a more important role than even I thought.

Just some food for thought for those of us working towards our goals! Good luck to everyone and I hope this may help someone realize that maybe it's not just their lack of self control stopping them, but maybe that their brain and body are just very tired.

submitted by /u/poopie__pani
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/31EEZjI

No comments:

Post a Comment