Monday, February 10, 2020

Today I realised how much lbs vs. kg fucks with my head

So I'm from Germany, and we use the metric system, so kg. I track and see my progress in kg. But when I scroll through here, and watch weightloss videos on youtube, all I ever see is lbs.

Today a video got recommended to me, with the title 'How I lost 18 lbs in 12 weeks'. I scrolled past and thought, oh man, I wish that could be me. Until I realised, I did that exact same thing. 18 lbs = 8 kg, 12 weeks = 3 months. I lost 8 kg in 3 months, but I don't feel as good about it bc to my brain, 18 is just a more impressive number than 8, no matter what is behind it.

I still find myself thinking of the weight that people on here talk about in kg, even though it's in pounds. If someone goes from 200 lbs to 140 lbs, in my head it's like omg you lost 60 kg, even tho it's only like 30 (still very impressive, but not the same, you know what I mean?).

I realised in the past three months I've been consistently losing 1.5 lbs a week, which sounds insane to me bc my brain unconsciously sees it as 1.5 kg, even though it's more like 0.7 kg.

These different meanings of numbers really fuck with my head, and make me appreciate my weight loss not as much bc I simply think I didn't achieve much.

I understand that most people on here are american and don't use the metric system, and I'm not asking anyone to do so, I just thought that his is an important reminder to anyone using the metric system (so basically everyone outside the US lol) that you should really stop once in a while and think about what these numbers really mean.

submitted by /u/lisa471
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3bqQAaP

No comments:

Post a Comment