Thursday, April 9, 2020

I would like to speak to those of you that have trouble starting or get overwhelmed easily

Up front I want to say that not every method works for everyone. Sometimes someone needs to go to an extreme and sometimes someone needs to take it very slow or thousands of steps in between. So if your method works but this is a possibility for those that have had trouble getting started or maintaining their weight loss. I also know I am not saying anything that hasnt been said before.

When I started I was at 420lbs and probably would have kept rising. I had done tons of plans and specific diets and this that and the other thing. Sometimes I went down, sometimes I went up and some just didnt work. So I decided to not change anything. Then I made one simple change.

I didnt change the food I was eating, I simply made a very small concious effort to eat less. An example was that at Taco Bell I would get 4 bean burritos, large dr pepper and cinnamon twists. So I decided to just eat 1 burrito less. Still tons of crappy food but it was slightly less than I normally would.

So I didnt change my foods, I just made VERY SMALL portion changes. To me this was more about being able to get through my day with less food. Maybe it was 5% less volume a day. A small adjustment. I still ate candy, still ate all the crappy foods.

What I had found was that my problem was that I was trying to eat healthy, exercise AND eat less all at once. I just couldnt do it. So I chose to eat less and do the other stuff later. I noticed I slowly was losing weight, not much but some. So then I decided to reduce a small bit more AND fill in that reduction with healthier choices. So going back to the taco bell example I stayed at 3 burritos but I cut out the cinnamon twists and kept the soda. Then if I was still hungry i would eat a healthy snack. Baby carrots or celery were my choices. Usually with a small bit of peanut butter. Was the calorie adjustment equal to what I lost? maybe up sometimes and maybe down. Anyway I kept going on this path. Slow adjustments, things I could easily get into eating. To me this worked great because I was not having any of the mental struggles I had before on healthy diets that made me sad.

I then decided that it was time for exercise. I of course made the same mistake I always do, i tried too much. I went hard core for about a week. Lifting, cardio, the works. Of course after that week I dumped it as was my usual process. After another week of nothing I decided to do just 1 thing at the gym at a time. Maybe 10 minutes on the bike or 2-3 lifts. No program, no tracking, just getting used to the idea of gym as a regular thing.

SO you can see how the pattern goes. Well about 1.5 years ago I lost my job. Went through a natural depression as I couldnt find work. But without even trying, I maintained the weight loss I had AND still found a way to do something exercise related every day. All without really thinking about it.

For 2 years I have maintained a 100lb weight loss without really thinking about it. I still eat like crap but I have trained myself for the proper volume of food. So now at 320 lbs I am starting to get back to making a strong conscious effort to lose again. But using the same method. Reduction but not elimination of the bad and replacing with good and working to be active again.

Tl;dr - go for 1%, then go for 2%. Dont look at 100% as too far away, 1% is right there. Go get it.

submitted by /u/1st_thing_on_my_mind
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Xr9ARU

No comments:

Post a Comment