Thursday, August 20, 2020

[Century Club] August 20, 2020 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous topics: - Denial - Headwinds - Streaks - Other People - Toolkit - Breaks - Support - Clothing - The Unexpected - Self-image - How do you end your journey? - What made it click? - Loose Skin


Today's prompt: Role of Exercise/Activity

We all know that to lose weight we generally need to "eat less and move more" what does that look like for you Centurion?

For me, I would say that 80% of my success losing weight was driven strictly by reducing the food I eat by 500 kcal under my sedentary TDEE tapering to 300 kcal for the last stretch of my journey. So I planned for weight loss ~ 1 lb/week. What I actually achieved was 1.2 lbs/week so I credit the extra 0.2 lbs/week to the "move more" category.

I started off just regularly walking/hiking. Prompted by my FitBit, I aimed for 10K steps a day at least 5 days a week. About 6 months into my journey I wanted to see if I could compress the time it took to get my steps and calorie burn in so I started C25K. Since Sept 2018 I have become a runner. I try to run anywhere from 15K (3 5K runs) to 40K (4 10K runs) per week. Always with a lower impact, no run day between runs. On those days I'll either take a walk or hike or try to do some calisthenics at home if the weather isn't conducive to going outside.

I do those activities regularly because I genuinely enjoy them. Walking/hiking/running outdoors for 30 min to 4 hours brings me mental peace in a way that running indoor on a treadmill or elliptical or strength work does not.

I never expected to enjoy running. Cross country days as a kid in grade school were among the worst of days. Now I do that for fun several times a week.

I ate back less than half of the extra calories my FitBit told MFP I could eat while losing weight, and all-in on average it suggests that all my hard work and hours spent moving really only added 100 kcal on average to my deficit. Most of my success for weight management thus ends up credited to controlling my intake. These days, in maintenance, I eat back 50% of the calories as a baseline and sometimes if I'm super hungry I will even eat back 100% of what it suggests. Ultimately the scale tells me if I'm eating to much or too little.

What about you Centurion? What did/do you do for exercise and what role did/does it play in your journey?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3aTgowx

No comments:

Post a Comment