Friday, August 21, 2020

How to estimate true fat loss and muscle loss when both weight and body fat percentage go down?

Hi everyone! I have a bit of a silly question perhaps but I just want to know the answer mostly from curiosity... I’m 5’2”F, started my weight loss journey at 98.8kg and a BF% of around 44%. I’ve lost a bit more than 37kg to sit at 61.5kg and BF% around 26%. There is some margin for error here since both set of measurements were taken by non-digital skin fold callipers, by myself, not through a DEXA, but looking at images of women at different body fat percentages online I think those numbers are reasonably accurate.

I’m just wondering how much of that 37.1kg I can attribute to fat loss and how much to muscle loss. Of course, some of it would be water, connective tissue etc that I don’t need anymore, but I’m wondering if there’s any way to estimate that information. If I use the percentages of body fat above as gospel, I estimate that I started out at (44% of 98.8 =) 43.47kg body fat and currently hold (26% of 61.5=)15.99kg body fat. That means that out of 37.1kg total mass lost, 27.48kg is body fat mass and 9.62kg is lean mass (which includes muscle, water, connective tissue etc). Obviously this isn’t an exact science or anything. But there’s no way of figuring out how much of that 9.62kg is muscle mass, right? At least, not through math?

I’m not stressed about it, but it would be good to know. I would like to get down to around 20-22%BF at 55-57kg as my final goal, so I wanted to see if that would be doable if I kept up a similar rate and composition of loss. Again, if my math isn’t completely nonsensical, that seems to work out to losing something like 3.5-5kg of fat mass from a total mass loss of 4.5-6.5kg which seems doable at a similar rate.

Basically I’m requesting all you lovely folks for a sanity check :) if you made it this far I’m grateful!

submitted by /u/ketogize
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2CLe1Pu

No comments:

Post a Comment