Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Your metabolism is irrelevant

Your metabolic rate has nothing to do with your ability to lose/gain/maintain a certain weight. Let me explain. The formula for calculating BMR (basal metabolic rate) is as follows:

Men: BMR = (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) + 5

Women: BMR = (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) - 161

You multiply this by a factor relating to activity level to adjust for sedentary vs active lifestyles, and that's the true number of calories you burn at rest.

Unless you are someone with a rare condition, it's clear that being overweight actually increases your metabolism.

And yet, you hear time and time again, overweight people complaining that their metabolism must be "slow" because they can't lose weight despite "not eating much", and yet their normal-weight friends can seemingly eat just as much, if not more and not even gain a kg.

The reality is, their metabolism is likely higher than their friend. +100 calories for every extra 10kg. That means, all else being equal, a person weighing 120kg burns 500 calories more than someone weighing 70kg. Think of it as a 70kg person carrying a 50kg weight-vest all day long.

So the relationship between metabolism and weight is actually positively correlated contrary to popular belief that skinny people have fast metabolism, and fat people have slow ones.

Now that we've established this, what is really going on? I believe it's a difference of ability to regulate hunger. Food choices are a big factor in this. Obviously eating 3000 calories of fast food and ice cream is a hell of a lot easier than getting that many calories of lean protein, veggies and rice/potatoes. But what about people claiming their friends eat the exact same things and yet have vastly different body shapes?

Well I think there is some difference in psychology. At what point do you decide you've had enough to eat for the day?

Is it:

a) I could probably eat a decent sized snack if I wanted.

b) I could probably have a few more bites if I wanted.

c) I'm at the point where I don't really have any desire to have any more.

d) I'm quite full, if I eat more I'll feel uncomfortable.

e) I'm very full, I almost definitely will feel ill if I have any more.

f) I'm so full if I eat any more I'm going to have a bad stomach-ache / throw up.

I'd wager that most people who are at a normal weight regularly fall into the c) or d) categories. People who are very discplined and conscious of how much they eat would fall into a) or b). And most overweight people fall under e) or f).

Another theory I'd like to suggest is that your body should regulate your appetite to match your metabolism. Eg, if you only need 1500 calories per day then you should feel the same as someone needing 3000 calories, in terms of satiety, as long as you're replacing the same number of calories you burn.

Please note, I'm not suggesting that increasing your metabolism through exercise doesn't have any benefits for weight loss. This post was only intended to help bust some myths about metabolism and weight-loss.

submitted by /u/sebazd94
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3jjhiW1

No comments:

Post a Comment