Thursday, August 5, 2021

My dad has diabetes

So my dad was diagnosed with diabetes. And it bad enough that he has to take insulin immediately rather than any sort of tablets etc.

We are being supportive. We've cut out all carbs from his diet whilst it gets under control, including root vegetables which contain higher amounts of carbs than other veggies. We aren't eating anything naughty or carbs either to be supportive and not tease. Like eating bread right in front of him is a bit mean etc so we aren't eating carbs either.

But the bit that has really got me. Is the fact he's my dad..... And has been diagnosed with bad diabetes.

I mean. It's my dad. The man who is like immortal. Who never gets hurt. Never gets sick. And suddenly it's like, he isn't immune. He isn't immortal. This is real and it's not a small thing. I know diabetes can be controlled with diet and insulin etc but what I mean is it's not like a 3 day cold which will go away. It's here to stay.

My super power dad has diabetes. He's...... Human.

And the second thing to hit me. I weigh approx 17 kilos more than him.

17 kilos more than my taller father..... Who's just been diagnosed with diabetes.

So aside from dealing with that due to his no longer superman quality. We've cut out carbs, sugar, sweets etc you name it.

And I realized that if my superhuman dad can get diabetes, I can most definitely get it too. And sooner than I might think, especially weighing 17 kilos more than him.

So I went and bought a scale for myself to use. To weigh and record daily.

The zero sweets, biscuits, chocolates, and smaller food portions that we've just started will help him as well as me.

If my superhuman superman dad is just that.... Human ....... Then I am seriously waking up to the fact that unless I pull my finger out right now, I'm going to go the same way and be diagnosed within the next year or so.

I know some people just decide now is the time, others need a wake up call. I've been saying for about 10 years that I need to lose weight and never have. But this ? This has really shocked me, upset me, and I feel that this is the wake up call that I have unfortunately been waiting for to take my weight loss seriously.

So now it starts.

Taking care of my dad. Taking care of me.

And loosing some serious weight as of right now.

TL:DR my dad has diabetes. I weigh more than him. Realised I need to take my weight seriously, stop messing around and lose a lot before I get diagnosed with diabetes too

submitted by /u/LittleFrenchKiwi
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3Cvs0TM

No comments:

Post a Comment