Friday, February 7, 2020

Information here helped me understand a plateau vs. maintenance

Two years ago I became very motivated to improve my health. Over the course of 14 months I lost 65 pounds through calorie tracking and walking. Then my weight loss stalled for 8 months even though I was still counting calories and walking. Initially, I was at peace with it all as I was happy to be smaller, healthier and more active. Then for the past 3-4 months, I became frustrated. No matter what I tried, my weight stayed the in the same 3-5 pound range and I was sure I had hit a set point/plateau.

As a perimenopausal woman near 50, the vast amount of information about weight loss indicates that it's "extremely difficult" for women like me to lose weight. Then I stumbled across this forum and started learning. In addition to learning terms and new tools , I came to realize that I wasn't stuck. This isn't a plateau or set point. What I was doing was eating/exercising/living a life style that was maintenance for that weight. It's such a great feeling to realize it's not out of my reach to see the scales move again.

So, I made the following changes:

1) I limited myself to a weekly weigh in vs. every day .

2) I educated myself on my TDEE and realized that I hadn't really adjusted my caloric intake enough since I started this process 65 pounds ago.

3) I became more precise with my measuring. I have the tools but I was guesstimating and approximating too much.

4) I adjusted my expectations to seeing 1 pound of weight loss a week by eating 500 calories less than my TDEE daily.

And.................. it's working. I've had 4 consecutive weeks of weight loss ranging from .9 to 1.5 per week. (for a total of 5.6 pounds) I know that might not seem earth shattering but it's been a revelation to understand that weight loss for me is far more mathematical vs. something out of reach. I wanted to thank everyone as there is some very good, logical and helpful information on this board.

submitted by /u/MissCmotivated
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37aiYup

No comments:

Post a Comment