Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Stop comparing your progress to others' -- this is not a race

I've lost 41 pounds / 19 kilograms in the past 4 months through diet and exercise at home. People are congratulating me and telling me they wish they had the same progress.

I am here to tell you now to stop comparing yourself to me or anyone else.

You're only seeing a number, that's it. And there are 100 other more important things when it comes to weight loss.

Here's the "other side" of losing 41 pounds:

  • Last week I got my Body Fat measured at the dietist's office for the first time. 44% body fat -- after losing all this weight. I was crushed.
  • I would rather weigh 20 more pounds but have 10% less body fat -- because it's the fat that's truly bad for you.
  • At the moment I don't have a job or kids -- weight loss was like my full-time job. Of course I had more time/freedom to apply myself to this. Don't feel bad if you're juggling lots of things.
  • Body dysmorphia is real. I still have trouble recognizing the results in the mirror.
  • I have a cheat meal once a week. There were times when I felt really guilty after eating it. That's wrong. This radical "all or nothing" mentality gets you nowhere.
  • There were a few days in the beginning where I probably didn't eat enough. And that's wrong. It only made me feel weak. The whole goal of this is to get healthy. I felt much better once I upped my calories.
  • Different people = different needs = different responses. Don't just copy what someone else is doing and feel bad for not getting the same result. Find out what works for you and what your body needs.
  • Consistency is key. I exercise pretty much 7 days a week. I started it for physical health but it's now just as important for my mental health.

Weight loss is not a race. It's like an ultra marathon that lasts your whole life. You need to develop life-long healthy habits to maintain both your health and your weight.

Compare yourself to the person you were yesterday, not a stranger's numbers.

To me, my journey is just beginning and I'm still far from my goals. But I'm taking it one day at a time. Current goal: fat loss (advice is appreciated).

Good luck!

submitted by /u/sleeplesslisbon
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3jKGoho

No comments:

Post a Comment