Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Struggling with the numbers

Hi everyone! I've been following and reading this sub daily since I started this weight loss attempt in April, and it has been the only place where I've felt understood through reading everyone's stories and updates. I apologize in advance for the long post.

Even as a young girl, I've always been a bit chubby, but it was usually balanced out by the fact that I am really tall and have a more athletic build. I knew this and decided in high school to never know the number of what I actually weigh to save myself from fixating on that and instead focusing on how I feel. That was a fine system, I would always just guestimate if I needed, until February when I had to complete a physical for a new job and self-report the data...meaning I had to know what my weight was. I was shocked to find out that I was only 2 pounds shy of 200 pounds and officially in the overweight category. In retrospect, I'm not surprised because I hadn't been feeling good about myself for awhile, but seeing the number was a wake up call.

Cue Covid, getting sent home from college, etc. and I decided enough was enough. Until mid-June I was doing really well with CICO, tracking in MFP and doing bi-weekly weigh ins, but I started noticing that I was obsessing over calorie counting and deficits in a really minute and unhealthy way to where it was consuming pretty much all of my day, so I decided to take a step back and stop counting so exactly as well as stopping the weigh-ins. I also started weight training again around this time, which has resulted in muscle build up and toning, which I'm happy with but I think has affected my actual weight loss (as in number going down on the scale), which I noticed after doing my first weigh-in in over a month this past week.

I'm feeling really down about this derailment in what was a really solid method for me. I am conflicted on what is best for my mental health. CICO and seeing the weight go down is important for keeping me motivated and happy, but not obsessing over every single calorie is also important. There may not be a clear resolution to this, but I just wanted to share this unexpected conflict that I'm facing in my journey. No matter what, I'm determined to do this healthily! 15 pounds down and proud!!

submitted by /u/swalts
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/30UcwXo

No comments:

Post a Comment