Thursday, August 13, 2020

Beginning a new weight loss journey

Hi all, I've been lurking in this sub for a little while but I have just now started on my new weight loss venture.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I went to see a dietitian when I was 12/13 and I lost just over 2 stone and had a huge growth spurt (which left the dietitian concerned about me possibly going too far the opposite direction). I gradually began regaining some weight over the coming years and I would say I was happiest at 18/19 (approx. 12 stone or 170lbs). I am now 22 and I am currently 16 stone (227lbs), 1 stone of this was gained over lockdown.

I am going into my final year of university this year in October and I feel so self conscious about my body. I've learned to love my natural hair and my face with no makeup but I really want to feel more fit and healthy, lose some weight and form some good long term habits.

I've set out a plan, my end goal right now is 160lbs, but I have also set myself some smaller milestones too so that I don't feel like my goal is so far away. My first goal is to lose 15lbs. I have a few ways I want to work toward this:

  • Tracking my food through MyFitnessPal - I'm not planning to calorie count in the long run, but I am just trying to get used to being more aware of the decisions I am making and how much of everything should make up a meal (so that I can automatically portion in future)
  • Weighing myself regularly - I don't want to be tied to the scales, but I would like to keep track. I plan to weigh myself first thing every Monday morning so that I can see how much my weight changes on a weekly basis.
  • Using different plate and bowl sizes - I choose my plates based on how much food I am eating. If my portion size is smaller, I use a smaller plate or bowl so that it doesn't look smaller.
  • Portion adjustment - I don't want to cut out the foods I enjoy, because I know in the long run that's not sustainable for me. Instead I am eating bigger portions of side salad, vegetables, more fruit etc. and smaller portions of the not-so-healthy elements of a meal
  • Swaps - I've been swapping out unhealthy sweet snacks for fruit, nuts or yoghurts. Swapping dairy products for reduced/low fat versions, white bread for seeded and so on.
  • Exercise - I have a gym membership, which I was using before lockdown. Now I am able to return to the gym so I am looking to start going twice a week to use the cardio machines and weight machines the way I had started to earlier this year, but I also bought some resistance bands to do some exercise in my room too. I'm also back to tracking my steps and I am joining the sailing team this year.

I am feeling really confident and excited about all of this and I hope I can keep it up! I want to feel good about myself and my graduation is in April/June 2021 so it would be an added bonus to be able to look back on those photos and just see a happy healthy girl, not focus on how big I look...

submitted by /u/OfAThievishDemeanor
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3gOUht7

No comments:

Post a Comment