Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Changing ideas about feeling hungry?

I'm curious if any of you have worked on changing your ideas about what it feels like to be hungry as part of your weight loss methods.

I ask because I've recently been getting really healthy, losing weight and getting fit, and this idea has been pretty central to my success so far.

I've been a chronic compulsive overeater for most of my life. 2500 cal "meals" were not rare. I was active enough to maintain a relatively healthy weight for most of my adult life, then I started to slip, then I completely fell and stayed down for years. Gained a ton of weight and have been sedentary and eating like a 12 year old for almost a decade. Had the final now-or-never moment some time ago, and have been steadily and healthily(?) losing since January. I've lost about 40 lbs.

The reason this is different (and again, I want to reiterate, I was absolutely hopeless when it came to controlling what and how much I ate, just the worst) is because I've been changing my mind about feeling hungry.

Through meditation and a lot of mindfulness techniques, I now mostly think myself out of overeating. I say to myself something like:

"That feeling isn't uncomfortable. It's normal. Feeling full ... that was uncomfortable. This is new. This is different. You think you're uncomfortable, but it's because you have a habit of stuffing this feeling full of food. Don't do that. Feel this. Feel what it feels like to have an empty stomach. It's ok. You can be active. Drink some water. Don't panic. This feeling is normal. It's fine."

Do you do anything similar? Have you seen this in any fitness plans? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this has been a major breakthrough and I haven't really seen it in everything I've looked for on how to lose weight.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Outrageous_Kitchen
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YwzIdG

No comments:

Post a Comment