Sunday, August 2, 2020

Hit a Wall, Don't Know What to Do

Hey loseit,

Apologies in advance for the long post but I hope someone takes the time to read it cause I am full of frustration this morning with my weight. Former fat guy here, went from 260lbs to 175 y years ago. Maintained for 2 years, and then jumped back to 190. Still not terrible, but I've been trying to lose weight to get back to 175. For the last 3 months, I've been going extra hard at fitness and have cut calories quite significantly, but after not weighing myself for weeks, I've actually gained 2 pounds and I have no idea why.

For the first month, my fitness routine was choosing 8 exercises, doing them for 30 second each with a 10 second break, and doing that set of 8 6 times while walking for 45 minutes a day. Now, as quarantine has gone on, I just go until I'm tired with individual exercises at a time, so in a day I usually do this:

  • Run for 2 miles
  • 75-100 situps
  • 30-50 russian twists w/ 10 lb weight
  • 500-600 jump ropes
  • 50-60 burpees
  • 20-30 pushups (omg I suck at these)
  • Various other small exercises that serve as mini-breaks during these sets
  • a 45 minute walk during the work day

With the exception of the walk, I do that almost every day in about an hour, 6 days a week. The 7th day is usually 2 to 3 hours of tennis with my buddy, but it's high level tennis as we both played in college.

My diet consists of about 1600 calories a day before exercise. I actually started this at about 1200 by skipping breakfasts, but about 2 months ago, I realized I might be hurting myself by not kickstarting my metabolism. I eat peanut butter and crackers every morning for some protein with about 4 ounces of juice. Lunch is usually a salad with feta cheese, cucumbers, and onions with an apple-flavored dressing with another 4 ounces of juice, and dinner is usually after working out and can be 1 of a few things with some soda (which I know is bad for me but I've cut this down by half). I know that with only 3 exceptions, I have NOT exceeded 1600 calories in the last 2 months, and on those 3 exceptions my calories were 1800, 2300, and another 2300. We eat at about 8 after doing fitness. I measure all foods with a food scale and measuring cup appropriately. My sugars are a little high (about 60g per day), but everything else is in range and both my sugar and sodium have dropped significantly. I also go through about 80-120 ounces of water every day. We've cut out 80% of any junk food we rarely ate anyways (I miss pizza, halp), and that might even be a conservative number.

We're not going out to eat as much cause we can't afford to with Covid stuff, and our sleeping has been surprisingly excellent with an average of 7.5 hours a night. When I lost weight originally, my diet was at a strict 1900-2000 calories, and irregardless of measuring out food, I know from common sense and an eye test that my diet is noticeably better than the first round of weight loss. My fitness is probably not quite as good, but it's a small dropoff, and right now I'm working out so hard that I can barely move at the end of sessions, but I keep doing it cause on my few break days, I'm feeling extra heavy.

I totally used to be that fat guy that made excuses to my doctor years ago when I was told to lose weight, but that stopped years ago when I needed to lose it the first time, so it's frustrating when I know for sure I'm doing better now than when I originally lost the weight. I am at a wall and legitimately can't figure out why, and I can't increase my fitness more and don't really want to completely starve myself. If anyone has any reason and resources as to what I can do to break through this wall, that would be super helpful. Thanks :)

Edit: I got a fitness tracker a while ago and started using it. I know they are not always super accurate, not doubting that, but I wanted to post some screens of my activity. I feel like with these numbers, even accounting for some inaccuracy on the device's behalf, I should see some progress even with my normal diet, let alone a better one. https://imgur.com/a/TWCd36p

submitted by /u/strugglingtoloseit
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3gzSmst

No comments:

Post a Comment