Monday, August 17, 2020

it took 6 years, but i think i'm finally healthy, both physically & mentally.

M. 38. 5' 11''. SW: 221. LW: 141. CW: 149.

TL:DR. i lost weight.

Chapter 1. How I Got Obese.

simply put, as an average American, i lived like an average American, and therefore got fat. and yet, illogically, i was shocked that it happened to me. i grew up slender, and didn't start packing on the pounds until after high school. not all at once, only 5-ish pounds a year, but after many years, i had transformed into a hamplanet.

Chapter 2. Why I changed My Lifestyle.

becuz unhappiness. i was a victim, not of forces outside my control, but a victim of my own foolish behaviors. i was nearing Homer Simpson's weight, a character i had laughed at for years, and i realized that it would be hypocritical to not expect others to laugh at me for the same reason. for my weight loss plan, i decided to emulate another of Homer's signature traits: laziness.

Chapter 3. How I Got Skinny.

since it took me years to get fat, it only made sense that it would take me years to get unfat. i did a lot of research on weight loss, and as i'm sure many of you are aware, there are many different opinions on how to 'correctly' do it. so i used a variety of methods, such as CICO, IF, limiting refined foods, avoiding all drinks with calories, mild exercise.

Chapter 4. How I Took It a Bit Too Far.

originally, my goal was to get to where i was at the top of my BMI normal weight, 178 lbs. but when i got there, i still felt fat. so i continued losing weight. after 5 years, i had lost around 70 lbs, but i still wasn't happy. so i upped IF from 14 hours a day to 18, and went from a daily brisk walk to a daily run. i got down to 141 pounds, a loss of 80 lbs. but i still wasn't happy.

then, 2 things happened. 1, my knee started hurting from all the running. 2, coronavirus. i realized that if i got coronavirus and became very ill, being super skinny might actually be bad. having some extra pounds couldn't hurt. so i stopped running and switched back IF to 14 hours a day. i gained 8 pounds in 2 months, and i've stayed at around 149 for 5 months, so i guess this is my 'set point', if such a thing exists.

Chapter 5. In Summation.

i currently feel pretty good. the only thing i'm considering doing is adding around 15 pounds of muscle, as my physique is kinda scrawny. but that would take effort, so i dunno. my advice to anyone trying to lose weight is to be realistic. it may take years to get to where you are healthy. it doesn't have to, i guess, but everyone i know who has done rapid weight loss has gained it all back. rapidly.

submitted by /u/mehedonia
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Y9V00H

No comments:

Post a Comment