Saturday, October 31, 2020

Food is about community

I realized something this week that I guess I’ve always felt but didn’t know how to put into words. Food is about community.

I’ve always loved to cook and bake. I love eating with my family and friends.

How does this realization help me with weight loss? It’s helped shift my focus away from eating calorific foods for comfort, or out of boredom or stress. Instead, I find other coping mechanisms. Need comfort? A nice bubble bath with a sparkling water or unsweet iced tea. Bored? Read a book. Stressed? Go for a walk.

The time to indulge in a calorific meal is not Monday morning just because frozen waffles sounds better than my usual oatmeal. The time to drink a glass of wine or two is not alone on a Tuesday night after a ‘stressful day’ at work. Wednesday at 2pm is not the time to eat my feelings in ice cream.

Instead, Sunday brunch with friends is the time for waffles. Friday evening with my husband watching a movie is wine time. Dessert is best enjoyed when it’s a spontaneous thing your friend baked after a game night :)

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with eating ice cream on a weeknight, etc. but this epiphany has helped me keep my weekdays in check so that I can truly and without guilt enjoy and celebrate the time I spend with family and friends, fully partaking in the entire experience, including the highly calorific foods.

submitted by /u/kuzzy235
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/34IHEfu

No comments:

Post a Comment