Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Pulses - a carb + protein source that can make the difference

PSA: Pulses (beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils) can be a great ally in your weight loss or body recomposition journey. Don't overlook them!

When assembling your plate, if you choose pulses as your source of carbs, that can give you extra benefits much superior than the usual rice/pasta/potatoes/bread carb sources.

Main benefits:

  • High in protein
  • High in fibre
  • Low in fat
  • Low glycemic index value (no blood sugar spikes)
  • Low calorie (100g of cooked white beans has 114 calories)
  • An excellent source of iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc and B vitamins including folate, thiamin and niacin
  • Cheap and accessible -- you can buy them cooked and canned, ready to eat, for cheap anywhere in the world.
  • Saciety: eating pulses leaves you feeling fuller for longer because they're slow releasing carbohydrates

Furthermore:

"Reduced calorie absorption from pulses:

The reduced availability of calories from starch in pulses may also contribute to their weight loss properties. White beans, for example, have intact cell walls that encapsulate starch granules, preventing them from being absorbed in the gut."

You may ask: what's the best kind?

There's no one answer. You should always try to have a varied diet and switch up your foods. The numbers may vary a bit, but overall all pulses are great for your diet.

In my personal experience, in the beginning of my journey I developed a bit of "carb phobia" and therefore reduced my carb intake too much and really avoided beans and such because I wrongfully thought of them as "bad foods". Nothing could be more wrong. I tracked my body composition and did not get good results with this carb phobia approach. Once I incorporated pulses into my diet, I saw huge improvements in my body composition and health.

You can read more about pulses here:

submitted by /u/sleeplesslisbon
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2SkdE6c

No comments:

Post a Comment