Monday, August 2, 2021

Anxiety and Weight Loss (Random Musings)

About 15 years ago (I was 25 at the time) I lost 160 pounds. I was 315 and I got down to 155 in the span of about a year. It was all calorie counting and running. Over the last 15 years, I basically gained it all back (my high was 311).

There were fits and starts of attempts to lose the weight again. I'd drop some weight and then gain it back plus a little extra. It was like some kind of broken see-saw.

In April of this year, when I got on the scale and saw 311, I was really depressed. How could I let myself get back into this mess? I had worked hard to lose weight, and eventually, though time (and many poor decisions) I was back where I started.

After feeling down for a bit, I decided to give it another go with a diet revamp and exercise (walking and biking).

I've lost 65 pounds in that time. It hasn't been perfect. There are good days and there are bad days, there are weight plateaus, there are inexplicable gains, and there are days where I have bad food.

I have quite a way to go still to reach my goal, but I have learned something along the way about the times I've failed and the times I have succeeded.

The most important thing I've learned and that I just want to put out there for all of my great anonymous friends out there (on this sub) who (like me) get frustrated in the process: it is not all or nothing.

All-or-nothing thinking is a response to anxiety we feel. Often times (at least with me) it leads to giving in and settling for the status quo.

Many times, I'd think, after eating WAY more than I should have, "that's it, I torpedoed my diet, what's the use in continuing?"

The use of continuing is that one bad meal, one bad day, even one bad week is not enough to destroy your diet. We can recover. We should recover. It is about being healthier, learning what causes trigger eating, and staying committed to our goals of living healthier lives.

I guess, the tl;dr is: you've got this, don't let anxiety and all-or-nothing thinking derail the hard work you are doing. I'll keep trying with you all because I want to reach my goals with all of you.

Thanks for reading.

submitted by /u/R_u_m_H_a_m
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3ilUWFL

No comments:

Post a Comment