Thursday, August 5, 2021

[Century Club] August 5, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes... - Accountability - Elevator Pitches - (Half-)Marathon Training - Celebrations - Water Weight - Comments - Travel - Disconnects - Activity - Years! - Fun! - Rhythms - How strict? - Relationships - Loose Skin Redux - Multiple Centuries - April Fools! - What didn't work? - Milestones - Seasonal changes - Is it worth it? - Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Aches and Pains

This week's topic was recently suggested by u/LoadOfMeeKrob.

I'll paraphrase and expand a bit.

Being 100+ lbs overweight comes with many of its own aches and pains. Soreness and pains in joints, muscles and bone from being heavy and literally carrying around the extra weight of another adult human all the time. Additional aches and pains from conditions that may be aggravated by being heavy like arthritis, etc... In many cases losing the weight can lead to significant improvements in the management chronic pain.

Large/rapid weight loss can bring in a whole new set of aches and pains as side effects of the weight loss process itself. For example there's a list of potential side effects at this WebMD link: https://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/rapid-weight-loss#2

  • Gallstones - probably the most painful and permanent side effect of rapid/prolonged weight loss
  • Muscle loss
  • Malnutrition
  • Headaches

But there are also other issues, such as the change in biomechanics that accompany your changing weight distribution. I don't know about anyone else, but my gait and posture are quite different at 160 as opposed to 275+. Better for the most part, but not always. My older son often catches me slouching even today and tries to get me more upright. I think he notices it more since he's only 1-2 inches taller than me, while my partner and younger son are both further away from my height

Personally, most of my aches and pains and medical conditions have improved significantly since losing the weight. Yes, I am sometimes not so comfortable lying on my side for extended periods of time -- as I no longer have the same cushioning on my hips as I once did. However I can easily get up from sitting on the floor.

Apart from that, I only noticed brain fog, headaches and being hangry all the time when I tried to cut down below 1650 kcal/day.

I don't count any of the aches and pains that come from my choice of regular activity, running. Those aren't due to the weight loss itself, but are due to the activity I'm choosing to participate in.

So how about you Centurion? Did you encounter any side effects of weight loss related to aches and pains? Good, bad or ugly we want to hear it all!

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3iqvK0T

No comments:

Post a Comment