Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Thoughts on Running During Weight Loss

(Obligatory disclaimer: these things are true for _me_; YMMV, always and forever)

I re-entered my healthy weight journey in April of this year. At the time, I wasn't anywhere near ready for exercise other than walking the dog slowly one time around the block. I felt heavy, my joints ached, my ankles popped, and I knew there was no way I was going to be able to run. I have been a runner off and on since my teens (more off than on), and I love it. I was feeling really sad that I was too heavy, in my mind, to run. I was also too exhausted all the time to even consider it.

What happened is that after I lost about 20 pounds I started to crave running. By the time I had lost 30, I was dreaming of it. So I downloaded a simple run-walk app, checked to see if my sports bra fit, and bought a couple of pairs of leggings from Walmart. Then I started. I have been running again for four weeks now, and it was the best decision I could have made.

What hadn't happened? Being "light enough" to run. I'm still pretty heavy. What DID happen? My transition to healthier eating habits, where I was eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, and very importantly, not overeating. Overeating for me leads to heartburn, fatigue, laziness, and malaise. Not so good for running. Once I started eating well, my body felt like running. And because I am working up to it with a run-walk program, I am giving my joints time to catch up. I have experienced no pain, shin splints, etc. since I started.

Benefits of Running for Weight Loss (for me):

  1. Appetite suppression. I tend to have less hedonic hunger (cravings that are not a need for food) when running. I am more satisfied with keeping to my deficit calories.
  2. Increased appetite for healthier foods; decreased appetite for junk. Nothing makes me want a plate of nachos more than sitting on the couch all day. When I am running regularly, however, I start to crave fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
  3. Mindfulness of my eating's effects on my running comfort and performance. I'll just say it: if I snack in the evening, especially if it is a lot of something fatty, I am going to get the runner's trots the next morning, guaranteed. Not fun. Plus I'll feel otherwise, um, shitty.
  4. Increased energy. On the three days a week I run, the alertness and energy boost is insane. I take a medication that makes me tired, so running really helps. More energy means that I am moving around more in general throughout the day, standing at my desk more, taking more little walks, being willing to do activities in the evening if they come up, etc. It's a great feedback loop.
  5. Increased body positivity. When my body is running, I feel good about it. I feel proud of what it can do. When my first little extra thigh muscles popped up, I was thrilled. Even when I'm in a stall weight-wise, my body is changing shape in ways that I like.
  6. Walking is now a restful, leisure activity. Because it is low-effort compared to running, my walks feel more recreational. Therefore, I am more likely to do them. They don't feel obligatory, but like treats to myself. I don't worry about speed or distance. I just leash up a dog and go.

I hope you can find an activity (and if it is walking for you, great!) that can support you in your quest for a healthier life.

submitted by /u/Laundrybasketball
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3yrKDW2

No comments:

Post a Comment