Monday, September 6, 2021

“Refeed days,” plateaus, and the mysterious science of weight loss

This week, something odd happened to me that has happened to me once before and that I’ve seen happen to others on this sub as well.

I spent a weekend on vacation eating whatever I wanted, and when I got back, I had lost two pounds.

We all know that moderate, healthy calorie counting does not disrupt one’s metabolism. In other words, we know that weight loss plateaus are probably not the result of increased metabolic efficiency, aka what some have dubbed “entering starvation mode.” So if that’s not what happens when people seem to break plateaus via controlled pig-out…wtf is happening?

The only theory I’ve seen put forward is that a refeed day jostles your metabolism out of its new routine and briefly increases its speed. But doesn’t that idea lean on “starvation mode” rhetoric? What gives? Considering the speed of the weight loss people notice in these scenarios, it seems likely that it’s water weight, but why would a brief period of overeating lead to loss of water weight instead of retention?

Any hypotheses? I’m stumped. Stumped, and full of seafood.

submitted by /u/zogmuffin
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3n9Hl7k

No comments:

Post a Comment