Wednesday, September 8, 2021

The mindfuck of constantly being told "you aren't fat!"

I remember growing up I would always get told "you're not fat!" even though I was quite pudgy all throughout my adolescence. I was never obese, but clearly overweight throughout much of my life up until my early 20s when I started to prioritize weight loss and dieting. I've yo-yoed around the last few years, but when I am overweight I have this odd phenomenon where I'll look in the mirror and clearly see that I'm overweight, but still think "you're not that fat! Stop worrying about it!"

I guess sometimes this can be a positive thing, if someone has bulimia/anorexia then they'll think they are fat when really they are underweight. But I can clearly see fat rolls, love handles, etc.! I think it's because I grew up in a family that was overweight, so they had a different standard for what was fat. My extended family even now is not the healthiest, a lot of my cousins and immediate family are overweight, and I don't really want to be like that.

For example, I've lost 20 pounds this year, am around 200 pounds at 6'0. I still think I've got love handles and put a lot of weight on my thighs which I want to lose and get leaner. I think I'd be more comfortable getting down to about 180-185, but there's that part of me that still thinks "you're not fat! stop worrying about it!" even when I'm not content with the way I look and want to change.

Here's what I look like currently: https://imgur.com/a/LwxrmFE

submitted by /u/BluePsychosisDude2
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3BRZ3jE

No comments:

Post a Comment