Wednesday, August 19, 2020

I haven’t told my family I’m trying to lose weight because my sister is in ED recovery

(F23, 5’6”, SW:181, CW:176)

The title pretty much says it. I started my weight loss journey in earnest about a month ago and I’m down 5 pounds. My goal is to lose about 30 pounds total. Right now, I don’t think my diet is noticeable. I exercise a lot but I’ve been active my entire life. I eat healthy but I’ve been 98% plant based (I eat seafood but no other animal products) since March. I track all my food in MFP but I never measure foods, scan labels or input into the app around my family.

Sometimes I wish I could talk about a really good food or activity day or whine a bit about how I ate too many tator tots. But I have been doing this all secretly/privately because my sister is in an outpatient program for her eating disorder.

She’s had orthorexia & abnormal presenting anorexia (? I think that’s her diagnosis) for probably like 4 years now and she’s finally getting help. She spends 12+ hours a week on zoom doing solo therapy, group therapy and nutritional consultations. She has a meal plan and has to be weighed every week. She eats dinner over zoom with her group 4 nights a week and they often have “challenges” (microwave meals, nachos, favorite childhood dessert, etc.) and every time she successfully eats these challenges or doesn’t have a mental breakdown in the Whole Foods bakery, it’s a win for her. So I just don’t feel comfortable sharing that I had a 1300 calorie day plus a 3 mile run. It also feels hypocritical to encourage her to eat the yogurt with added sugar while I’m trying to avoid “empty” calories.

That is why I appreciate this sub. I love reading about everyone’s victories, seeing progress pics, hearing what has been hard for you, etc. You all feel like my community for this process so that definitely helps. Thanks for letting me share with you all.

submitted by /u/whats_the_vibe
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/325Hc8A

No comments:

Post a Comment