Tuesday, November 24, 2020

A gamer trying to gamify my weightloss without apps; any advice?

tl;dr: Avid gamer with body to match and a list of severe health issues (kept private) looking for advice to gamify weightloss. Not a fan of gamifying habit apps, so please don't suggest those. Have Just Dance, can't afford Ring Fit Adventure.
__________________

I'm an avid gamer and have the body to match. For almost my whole life, I used to be fit, playing tons of sport and hitting the gym every day. But I ended up getting really, really sick over the last 5 years and somehow as a result, instead of losing weight and wasting away, I ended up becoming more like the people you'd see on Wall-E. I turned to video games and MMOs as something I could do on the days when I'm bedridden, so I could socialize and accomplish small goals while stuck in bed to keep my mind off how bad everything was getting.

But something happened recently and it's made me realize that I am in desperate need of levelling up my real life -- not just my virtual one.

I'm going on a quest to level up in life, with sidequests like improving my physical and mental health. Weight loss is going to be a big part of both. r/loseit 's references to gaming on its main page is what drew me to this subreddit before the other weightloss subreddits, so here I am.

I've already levelled up some of my gear (buying running shoes). I could use some armor (like wrist braces) and better weapons (I have a few fitness games and a resistance band), I'm missing out on a mount (bike) and I'm a little too underlevelled to take on the real boss fights I once melted with ease (Shaun T, I'm looking at you).

But like a newb with nothing but level 1 starting gear, I am still thrilled to begin this adventure.

Things I Have / Have Done:

I've made some spreadsheets to collect data so I can better match the meta for weightloss for someone with my (29, 5'4, 236lb) character stats. And at the end of every week I'll know my parse. I've found a few video game OSTs with 130bmp tracks for a workout playlist (and there are already some playlists on YT), but if you know of any I'd be glad to hear them!

Aside from just treating weightloss as a game, I've been trying to also use actual video games to my benefit instead of to my detriment. I absolutely can't afford the Ring Fit game for the Switch, but I do have Just Dance and Wii Sports and I've been using that to some success when paired with diet. And I've been taking my Switch with me on walks through Hyrule and real life at the same time. That's been kind of nice. I was able to walk 3 miles today without noticing because of it, in record time as well! (Well, a record time for the Sickness expansion, at least!)

I remember there being a phone app called Zombies, Run! Are there any other running apps out there you'd recommend that make it feel like a game? (Preferably no horror ones like ZR, though. My heart very seriously can't take it.) If Pokémon GO would ever read my GPS, I'd be using it more to log my miles for candies to feed my Pokémon with!

This mentality of turning it into a game is helping me stick to it, but I could also use a little advice. I'm not a fan of gamify-ing apps since I can never remember to use them no matter how much of a habit I try to make it, so please don't recommend those to me. But what are some other ways I can gamify this? I'm set for another two months or so, but I'm worried about running out of ideas by the time I hit a plateau and logging off until the next tier of raid bosses (in this case, IRL health crises) comes along.

submitted by /u/wyleaux
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/39jvQ6l

No comments:

Post a Comment