Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Mother trying to sabotage weight loss

Hey guys, I'm at my wits end. I'm not sure what to do here.

I (F,22, 163cm/ 5,4 ft) started my journey a few months ago. Started at 75kg, trying to get down to about 50-60kg.

It's hard, but it's been going well. Exercising and eating right. I live with my mother, and I do all the weekly shopping and all the cooking for us every day, so I have a lot of control over what we have in the cupboards (no huge amounts of chocolate to binge on). I always cook her exactly what she wants with the portion that she wants. And then I do the same for myself.

However, as I get more excited the more I lose (feeling healthier, having more energy, can go faster on the treadmill) my mother has been more and more snippy. She says stuff like "What's the point?" or "so you can't eat anything".

If I see an outfit I love, she makes a comment like "you're going to have to buy new clothes which is a waste of money". I have my own job, I pay for all my own stuff (more often than not, I pay for the weekly groceries we both eat). I've told her it's none of her business. Still, the comments don't stop.

I know these are just toxic (she's always tried dieting herself, but never stuck with it, we're quite a large-sized family) but I'm just basking in this environment of toxicity and it's getting hard to ignore. She purposely goes out of her way to buy chocolates, pork pies etc even though I've already shopped and she says that she won't eat them. This means I have to throw them away which seems like such a waste- but I don't want to eat them.

When I go to exercise, she tries to convince me to stay with her and watch a movie. She'll order McDonalds and order an extra McFlurry for me even though I explicitly told at her that I don't want one.

I don't know what to do here. I've told her she's not being supportive and that this is what I want. She says that I should not be so "sensitive" and that she's only "joking".

I live in a small flat with her, and it's going to stay this way for the next two years (I'd love to live alone, but it's not feasible at the moment). I don't know how to escape it.

Any tips to stay motivated or how to ignore her would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/senatormcschmoogle
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3l4llG7

No comments:

Post a Comment