Sunday, June 6, 2021

God there's a lot of conflicting information on weight loss, diet, and muscle building!!! It's so frustrating!

I recently started a weight loss journey but I'm also trying to get in shape and build some muscle (I'd prefer not to have super visible bulky muscles because I'm a woman and body standards have gotten to me, but I want to be in shape and feel fit and strong). So - what my diet should has become even MORE confusing.

People tell me to eat more calories, people advise not even factoring in burned calories from exercise, people say carbs are bad but carbs are necessary for brain function and muscles, then I thought a lot of protein was good but some people say there's an issue w/too much protein and I haven't even looked into what resources probably say about fat because I'm sure it's a whole other debate.

I'm currently just following a diet that I think will be fairly good for maintaining my muscles but also good for weight loss (and also affordable and not that hard to make). I've read a few papers and I think this is just what I'm going to do for now. Most of my carbs come from whole grains and vegetables and fruits anyway - although I did have 1/16th of a (homemade) dulche de leche cheesecake this morning before working out and I don't regret it (it was a very slim slice and fit into my calorie budget). My goal at this point is to just try and get unprocessed carbs as my main carb source, try to make sure I get a decent amount of protein, and have a fair amount of fruit and veggies (and cut out junk food and takeout for the most part, while still allowing myself to have something I like once in a while - like the very slim slice of cheesecake; which, for its size, was pretty filling). And I've been drinking a lot of water. Primarily to stay hydrated especially since I work out now. I seem to be losing weight and building muscle, so I'm just going to try and figure it out as I go and primarily rely on research papers instead of all the confusing anecdotal arguments.

But, it still does get to my brain when I see stuff talking about the benefits of ketones (but then there's also tons of research saying keto is a highly unsustainable diet for most people), etc. There's debates like that for EVERYTHING I stg.

I have learned in cognitive psych that people tend to trust "man who" arguments too much (basically, we consider anecdotal evidence valid and apparently that can be pretty bad at times/it's probably a good idea to try and figure out if there are any research papers that might have better evidence), so I'm trying to keep that in mind when I see informational videos, people's advice, etc.

But good lord it is frustrating. I think the diet/exercise/food/weight loss topics might be one of the most confusing, conflicting information, everyone-has-an-opinion topic ever!

Just wanted to vent - I'm guessing/hoping other people also share this frustration lol.

submitted by /u/historicalsewingx101
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3poU7Oa

No comments:

Post a Comment