Wednesday, June 9, 2021

I might gain back all the weight I've lost and I'm terrified

SW: 212 lb CW: 172 lb GW: 143 lb

I am 22F and 180 cm tall. I started doing CICO in February 2021 and progressed to eating 1200 calories per day. I have a very sedentary lifestyle but I went to the gym for about 1.5 months in between and occasionally go for 45 minute brisk walks. I also take regesterone for 5 days every month for my PCOS. I am in therapy.

I have a history of severe anaemia from an intestinal polyp which left my hair really thin, sparse and brittle. I have recovered from the anaemia and my hair has been slowly growing back healthy for the past 2 years, but all the vegetables and protein I began eating on my low carb diet really seemed to do wonders for my hair and skin at first.

However, I had very funky poops at the beginning which I thought would go away like everyone said they would. But I realised recently that I've had very smelly and difficult poops consistently since I started my low carb diet i.e. for 5 months. My diet has also slipped to 1000 cals frequently because the weight loss had slowed down/plateaued frequently so I lowered my caloric intake to push it further. My hair has started falling out in alarming amounts and I feel dizzy when I stand up, so I know from my history that I'm definitely anaemic. It is getting worse with time and my iron supplement is not helping. I have had poor immunity all my life but I've been falling ill very frequently lately. I finally decided last week to get back to maintenance and lose the rest of the weight slowly afterwards.

The crisis: A reddit/google spiral yesterday has made me suspect very strongly that I have been suffering from steatorrhea and malabsorption for all these months. This means that my already weak immune system has been severely compromised, and that despite my healthy (although tiny in amounts) diet of vegetables and protein my body has not been breaking down any of this food nor my multivitamin supplements. The food has just been passing through my body without nourishing my body at all. I now feel like I've been decomposing away slowly - and yet I never felt like anything was wrong all these months.

The coronavirus situation in my country is alarming and I am terrified of being this immuno-compromised. I intend to speak to a doctor soon and get comprehensive testing done to get a picture of how malnourished I am. My worry is that the treatment the doctor will prescribe + my journey back to maintenance will result in my body (GI + metabolism) being suddenly overwhelmed with a lot of nutrition after months of denial. I know my health is more important than anything, but I hope there is a way to fix my health crisis without gaining back the weight I have lost.

I've learnt my lesson and will take my weight loss journey much slower, but I don't want to have to start from scratch again. I wonder if doing weights will assist in the re-nourishment/absorption process as well as help convert my increased food intake to muscle rather than fat. Any advice?

submitted by /u/slaystati0n
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3gkvAps

No comments:

Post a Comment