Friday, June 11, 2021

Is eating one big meal a day a dysfunctional eating habit?

Earlier this year, I started tracking calories and decided to set my daily calories to 1500. I had previously done this with 1300 and 1400 and felt it was too low to be sustainable especially since I was also working out at the time. I'm working out less at the moment, doing one long hike (3-4hrs) on the weekend plus daily walks with the dog while maintaining the 1500 calories. I started at 165lbs, now down to 155lbs in the span of 4 months. I'm satisfied with my rate of weight loss and don't care too much about the speed and would rather it be sustainable. So far I haven't felt hungry on my 1500 calories limit.

For breakfast I have some fruit and green tea. For lunch I have a Greek yogurt cup (150 calories) or hummus and carrots (200-300 calories). And for dinner I am able to eat a bigger meal whether it's 2-3 slices of pizza or some homemade lo mein with chicken and veggies without worrying too much about going over 1500cal. My coworker noticed I wasn't eating much for lunch and pointed out that it probably wasn't healthy of me to be doing this.

The main reason why I've set up my meals this way is because my partner isn't as meticulous about calories or healthy eating. He's been trying very hard to accommodate me recently (more veggies, more lean meats like chicken) but he's a big man who's TDEE is probably 2500 calories so he is not used to worrying about calorie counting as much as me. He also has a bit of a child's palate so having veggies and chicken every day is unsustainable for him I like the freedom of being able to whip up something a little more caloric for dinner, having the option of ordering out, and also not having to be super meticulous about weighing my chicken at night or doing strict portion control on more caloric foods (for example, calculating that I can have 7 gyoza because it's 400cal plus 120 for a tbsp of oil).

If I ate a larger lunch (maybe 600-700 calories) then I'd need to cook and prepare it the day before, calculate the calories for it by weighing out major components of my food, and then have to do the same with my dinner. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't have the mental bandwidth for it at the moment. I strongly feel that with my caloric limit, I'd have to cook both meals and leave me little latitude to eat or order out. And I don't want to miss out on my homemade fried rice just because those two tbsp of oil need to crisp up the veggies really push the dish over my limit and I end up only being able to get a cup of it to stay within 600-700 calories. I want to be realistic about what will work for me.

Is allocating most of my calories to dinner a dysfunctional eating habit?

submitted by /u/ididntreadtheterms
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3gejzDh

No comments:

Post a Comment