Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Einkorn Bread is crazy-satiating

Today is my birthday, and I'm not much of a birthday celebrater at this point in my life, but I realized that I've been fantasizing about a nice loaf of Einkorn bread for like a week; I haven't had much bread during my weight loss journey because it typically costs too many calories for how little it fills me up, but I haven't had Einkorn bread in like a year because it's a nightmare to work with, and I was really wishing for it. It crossed my mind that hey, it's my birthday, and THIS IS MY BIRTHDAY CAKE. And since it's my birthday, I decided I was taking a day off from everything except calorie logging, which means if I want to eat "cake" til I want to die, that's my god given right tonight and I will exercise it.

I learned/relearned three things, all of which made me feel grateful, one of which might be relevant to y'all's interests:

--Taking a day off from exercise isn't actually something I want to do anymore. I love sitting around the yard and watching my ducks and listening to audiobooks, but I also love zipping around the neighborhood on my razor scooter for an hour or two in the afternoon, and skipping that wasn't a treat at all.

--The decision to continue logging calories even when I am sure and aware that I am going over my daily budget is a good one. The fact that I'm like "yep, I'm over, and I'm also going to eat this" helps me keep precisely how much I ate in perspective and stops me from feeling like it was more or less a departure than it actually was. Today's log topped out at 1900 calories, which is more than I'd typically eat in a day, but only 150ish more than the maintenance of my goal weight and activity level. It's not even a setback, it's a blip.

--Einkorn bread is CRAZY satiating, and just stupid delicious. I made a little loaf of rosemary bread with two cups of Einkorn flour and no regular wheat, a little yogurt mixed in with the water, butter and olive oil, sugar, salt, and yeast. It made a loaf that's 1030 calories. Sliced into eight slices, that's 128 calories per slice. I had three for dinner with a little bit of butter, and I should have stopped at two, because I am stupid-stuffed. Einkorn makes a bread that is both cake-like from the lower gluten, a little bit nutty, soft but with the ability to form a great crust, and so filling. I will have two slices plus a little avocado for breakfast for the next few days, and I have no doubt that it will be enough for me.

If you haven't tried Einkorn flour to bake bread, I highly recommend. It's calorie-dense, but it is so darned satisfying and tasty! Just be sure to run away from any recipe that doesn't say "no knead" on it, because a perfect einkorn "dough" will be like thick muffin batter and stick to your hands for the rest of your life.

submitted by /u/cattheotherwhitemeat
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3DWBIiE

No comments:

Post a Comment