Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Has anyone tried therapy to help address weight loss *without* success? Those that have been successful, care to share any insights?

TW: eating disorders, mental health issues

I’ve been working with a therapist for 2+ years who specializes in eating disorders, including binge eating disorder and food addiction. We’ve unpacked some stuff from my childhood that likely fed into it (no pun intended lol) but I still don’t think I’ve developed any strategies to address it now moving forward or an understanding of where I go from here. I can’t really manage my food any better now than when I started working with her.

I firmly believe that addressing mental health is critical for someone like me, who has been overweight their entire lives and really struggles around food - it’s not as simple as a meal plan, because I can’t stick to them. (That’s why I hate shows like 600 Pound Life because they’re given an incredibly strict, impossibly low-calorie diet and told to lose 30 pounds in a month. There are clearly some real mental health issues going on that need to be addressed).

I wonder if this therapist just isn’t particularly effective for me? Has anyone else tried therapy, and if so, care to share more about your experience? Thanks!

submitted by /u/asitsn
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3zCX8ig

No comments:

Post a Comment