Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Really surprised how many calories are in some things

Obviously for most things you have an idea of whether they’re healthy or not, but it wasn’t until I started taking my weight loss seriously and counting calories that I really realised just how bad some foods are. Foods I used to eat constantly not knowing how bad they were.

One example: My local supermarket has a 20 pack of small brownie bites. Tiny ones, like the size of 2 plastic bottle caps. I know they’re chocolate, they unhealthy, but I was genuinely shocked when I read the nutritional information to find out each of these tiny bites had 62 calories. I would frequently eat 10 in a go, the whole box if I was feeling particularly hungry/sad/stressed. That’s half my daily intake!!

Another is Greggs for my uk people. Did you know a sausage roll has 328 calories? That’s not insanely high, especially if you work it into your intake right. But at work I used to eat 2 or 3 for lunch sometimes if I was hungry. Like several times a week, then I’d wash it down with a full sugar drink, maybe a donut or cookie as well. And before you know it that’s half my daily intake too, just for lunch.

And one (or two) more which I was particularly horrified at, is tortillas and pitta breads. I’m a big fan of both of these for making wraps, fajitas, enchiladas and the like. I always liked having stuffed pittas for breakfast or lunch. But again, only started checking recent;y to find out that (at least from my shop) a single tortilla has 218 calories, and a sine pitta bread has 270. Again, fine in moderation. But I was there making fajitas for my tea under the impression it was a relatively healthy meal. But 3-5 tortillas, and the chicken and the salsa and spices and vegetables. Very quickly adds up to way more calories than I bargained for.

Has anyone else found they just have genuinely no idea how many calories are in some things. This is not to say you should give up on favourite foods at all, I certainly won’t. But definitely more in moderation, instead of a few times a week maybe a few times a month. Or with substitutions, for example last night I had lettuce wraps which were delicious.

submitted by /u/stressyanddepressy03
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3nFSTPA

No comments:

Post a Comment