Wednesday, April 10, 2024

I think I'm done trying to lose weight.

From the title of this post, I'm sure it doesn't seem like something that would ever belong in this sub, and what I'm about to write is very lengthy, but I didn't really know where else to post this and I'd appreciate some opinions from people here.

I never thought I'd be making a post like this, but here goes. I am 21F, 5'5", and about 135 pounds. I am fully aware I'm already at a healthy weight, but my current weight is the result of a 15-pound gain in the span of only about a year since I stopped exercising post-covid, which is why I was trying for years to lose those 15 pounds, or at least some of it, again. I have a very complicated and tough relationship with tracking my calories and setting a daily budget. But at the end of the day, all it has caused is my weight to yo-yo without it ever actually going down. It made me miserable, caused me to miss out on fun events with my friends (because I had to "save my calories" instead of "wasting" them on those special occasions), and my willpower is quite weak when it comes to food so I would always fall into a cycle of staying consistent for a week, then snapping at the end of the week and binging, and then beating myself up for the next several days.

I stopped counting my calories a few weeks ago after realizing that I was putting myself through these constant cycles of misery for nothing because I wasn't even actually losing weight. And honestly, it's the happiest I've been mentally in a long time. It's such a huge burden off my shoulders to not have to constantly think about how many calories are in this meal and instead just give myself the freedom to eat what I want, when I want. No more feeling like I have to save up for a treat, and no more punishing myself or feeling guilty if I go over my daily budget because I have no daily budget. And now I feel like I can freely have fun with my friends when special occasions come up without thinking about the calories involved. Even though I hate counting calories, I have found that I can love exercise, so these past few weeks I have been trying to incorporate more exercise and cardio into each day, but not necessarily for weight loss, just to get more physical activity and improve my overall health. I still weigh myself daily, and my weight seems to have more or less plateaued around here.

To be honest, I'm still not obsessed with the way I look right now. I was looking at some old pictures, and I have to admit, I do miss those years before I gained this weight when my face was a lot slimmer and I didn't have extra deposits of fat in my hips, arms, and thighs. After all, those are the very things I was trying to lose by losing this weight. I still have a lot of buried self-hatred toward my body and confidence issues that I need to work on, but for now, I'm doing my best to accept myself as I am.

Maybe one day I will try to pick this back up. Or maybe I will fall back into the sports I used to love and end up naturally losing the weight I've been trying to lose all this time. But for now, I think I'm going to put this on hold. No more restricting calories, and I will continue trying to incorporate that exercise into each day like I am now. After all, I'm healthy, and I'm a hell lot happier now too. I hope I'm making the right decision for the long run, but at least for now, it's felt so much better.

submitted by /u/FeedbackMelodic8927
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/Puf20sv

No comments:

Post a Comment