Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Accepting and settling on “overweight”

I started losing weight about 23 months ago. I didn’t set a final goal at that time, just aimed to lose about 10% of my body weight. I was class III obese at the time. Lost that, rinse and repeat... but as I got closer, getting down to 145 lbs started sticking in my mind. That is the very top of a healthy BMI for my height (5’4).

For the last six months I have been close. Bouncing around 147-155 mostly. Higher when I have been on vacation or at the holidays, lower when I am being strict.

I got a dexa scan about two months into my weight loss, which confirmed for me that being much below 145 wasn’t realistic unless I was willing to lose bone/muscle. But “healthy” was still the goal in the back of my mind.

I got another scan yesterday, and at 150.6 lbs, my body fat is 21.5%. Pretty good, right? But assuming I lose only fat, and don’t gain anymore muscle, getting to 145 would put my bf percentage at 17.5, which is quite low. Scan here: https://imgur.com/gallery/1Y3vJjv

Before I started this journey, being just able to fit into an xl at a “normal” store was a dream. Now I find myself debating medium vs small. I never though I would wear a bikini, I now own 3!

My body is far from perfect, but it is stronger than ever. But I am also bothered by being still overweight by BMI. I am trying to decide if I should try to be simply happy where I am, or if 145 is an achievable goal.

Here is a side by side, then and now(ish): https://imgur.com/gallery/fcWBAWL

Should I keep going a try to get to 145? Or stick to maintaining around 150, which I have been, albeit unintentionally, for the past 6 months?

submitted by /u/Lobolikesstuff
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2EBpYov

No comments:

Post a Comment