Thursday, May 30, 2019

Just started managing my heart rate during cardio

Age: 42
Sex: M
Height: 5'11"
Starting weight (SW): 240 lbs.
Current weight: Same
Goal weight: 190 lbs.

I work at a desk. Just starting exercising again. I bought a season pass for next season to the local ski resort and I am trying to get in shape to take up snowboarding again (and also just because I need to lose weight).

Right now I'm just getting into cardio and I think I had a breakthrough. In the past I've tried some version of HIIT where I try to run for a few minutes and walk for a few minutes, but I don't really like watching the timer. So instead, I decided to manage my heart rate BPMs directly.

Tonight I did and hour on the treadmill going back and forth between walking (speed at 3.5) and jogging (speed at 4.5).

I just jog until I feel like walking. Then I reduce the speed and start walking. I watch my heart rate decrease while walking, and when my it goes below 160 BPM, I bump the speed back up to 4.5 and jog until I feel like walking again.

I just keep repeating this, and my heart rate fluctuates between 180 BPMs (jogging) and 159 BPMs (that's the lowest I will let it drop, then I bump the speed back up and start jogging again).

I know, my heart rate tends to run a bit high. I asked the doctor about it and he said my ticker is OK.

After doing an hour on the treadmill, I did some curls (3x12) and some squats (5x5). I will continue to add more weight training as I start spending more time in the gym, but for now I want to focus on cardio. I'm pretty happy that this method works for me because sometimes I just like to walk on the treadmill and don't get much benefit from it. Keeping my heart rate up I think prevents me from walking too much.

Do you think this will help much with weight loss? I plan on doing this at least a few times per week. The basic idea is to keep my heart rate at 160 BPMs for one hour.

Here is what Google search says about heart rate:

It is recommended that you exercise within 55 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate for at least 20 to 30 minutes to get the best results from aerobic exercise. The MHR (roughly calculated as 220 minus your age) is the upper limit of what your cardiovascular system can handle during physical activity.

To go through the calculations real quick:
MHR: 178 BPMs
Exercise range: 97.9 - 151.3 BPMs
Haha... I am way above that. I don't even go below 159.

I'm not really sure what to think of these numbers. I guess I will just disregard the exercise range calculation. My heart rate will jump up to 140 sometimes just when I am walking.

submitted by /u/JurassicBarleycorn
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WvDKDj

No comments:

Post a Comment