Friday, May 31, 2019

I (23f) lost 50 pounds in a year while finishing my masters and I never thought I’d get here

I have always been on the heavier side, but it got worse when I was doing my internship my senior year of undergrad. I would eat constantly, mostly carbs and sugary foods, as well as drink almost every night. I was really depressed and anxious while trying to maintain my GPA to graduate summa cum laude. I was just miserable and hated everything about myself. By the time I finished undergrad I was 216 pounds.

When I graduated last year, I knew I needed to change because my weight was increasing due to my poor coping skills of comfort eating which just fueled my depression and anxiety; an awful, gross cycle. I also didn’t want this to continue into my Master’s program because it was an advance, year long stint and I knew I would be stressed. So I joined the local gym with the idea to lose weight. I did group classes 4x a week and they said if I eat right I’ll lose 50 pounds in 6 months. Obviously that didn’t work out.

I had slip ups where I’d drink and go on a week or so of eating badly and not counting calories. My weight loss was a slow lifestyle change that I didn’t want to rush. I also was tired of lashing myself when I would mess up and be human, so I allowed myself times to indulge. I’m really happy and proud of where I am now; I had a lot of stressful moments while attending school, doing a 21 hour a week unpaid internship on top of work, family issues and still managing my depression and anxiety. As of today I’m 155 pounds and I’m still hoping to lose a little more or gain more muscle.

The real key that helped me losing the weight was consistency with the group fitness classes, which are a mix of strength based training and HIIT and CrossFit elements. Having the group to motivate me really helped as well because I’m notorious to slack off at the gym. Counting calories helped a lot too and doing more portion control.

Progress pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/ShZ793G

submitted by /u/gamx124
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WCqLzS

No comments:

Post a Comment