Thursday, May 30, 2019

Have I become skinnyfat or am I still fat? Where do I go from here?

Hey everyone,

5’8” M/22 here.

To keep this brief, I was either overweight or obese since 13. Back in February 2017, at 265 pounds, I jumped into a diet, doing mostly CICO. Original goal weight was 150 pounds. Went down to 170 pounds by February 2018, but back up to 210 pounds by Jan 2019 (stupid). Woke up, discovered /r/fasting, and now I’m at 155 pounds 6 months later.

I’m 5 pounds from my goal weight (and at a healthy range according to BMI), but I’m flabby as hell. My face still looks chubby, I have a gut (waist measurement is 36”, neck 15”) and some manboobs. Here are some pictures (with before pics, too). I look different from where I started, and for that I’m thankful, but I still look like crap.

So obviously body composition is a problem. I have not exercised (neither cardio nor strength training) for any of the 110 pounds I’ve lost. /r/fasting will tell you that fasting (I do either one meal a day, alternate day fasting, or extended fasts) will preserve your muscle mass. Beyond that, I have no idea how much of the 110 pounds lost was muscle. I can do 12 pull-ups in a row if that says anything and my thighs and calves still seem pretty muscular. Also, on the days I’m not fasting, I make sure to take in a lot of protein (usually 300g of chicken breast).

My question is, where do I go from here? First things first, I’m going to incorporate some sort of strength training to make sure any weight loss from here on out is emphasized on fat loss. Anecdotally, I know a lot of (skinny) guys my height (or even taller) are around 125-140 pounds. I was thinking of just going down to 130-140, seeing where I stand, and maybe start serious lifting then. Otherwise, I’ve seen some posts suggesting people with my problem just start bulking now, but I’m really hesitant to go from pretty steep caloric restriction to +250-500 calories over TDEE when I still have this much fat.

Any advice?

submitted by /u/throwmeariversong
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2wuwh93

No comments:

Post a Comment