Tuesday, May 28, 2019

What was your 'aha' moment?

Long time lurker, first time poster here, who after only being able to describe my attempts at weight loss as an upwards trending yo-yo for the past 4 years, is curious to hear other people's 'moments', the events/thoughts/whatever that preceded ur final and (hopefully) successful attempt at weight loss.

I'm asking because I thought that I'd had these moments during my several previous attempts. First it was finally getting an appointment with a GI and working out that all of my chronic abdo issues were actually IBS, and a low-FODMAP diet (recommended by my GP and dietician) solved it all for me. I was pretty on track with the diet for about 3-4 months, was exercising fairly regularly and intensely, and was slowly but steadily losing weight. I was eating a good 1600-1700 cals per day, shedding the weight slowly, never hungry, and doing a moderate amount of exercise 4-5 a week (weight training, cardio, and taking rest whenever needed). Then I had a rather stressful life event and (not to throw the blame on anyone but myself), I gained it all back and then some (was still sticking to FODMAP, but calorie counting and exercise fell to the wayside).

I dusted myself off, got back on the horse, and tried out Keto this time. It's fair to say I'm addicted to carbs, and considering how all FODMAPs were carbs, and the resolution of my chronic gastric issues was less carbs, I decided to give it a shot. And I felt fantastic. It worked great, it really did. Energy was up, keto flu was a joke, the weight was melting off even with 4 slices of bacon, 3 eggs and a pat of butter for breakfast, what could go wrong? I lost motivation, succumbed to my cravings a couple of months later, and back to square one we go.

Then, I try IF, because maybe it's the mundanity of calorie counting that gets to me. Same story this time around. Still FODMAP-ing, because if not I would be in terrible pain, but otherwise no change I've made so far has stuck with me.

Then, comes just plain old CICO. But as I said, I hate calorie counting, and that was a short lived effort to say the least. This is also around the time that life roundhouse'd me in the face again, and I discovered emotional eating was a big pitfall for me.

And now, I want to try again, I really do. I hate my body, I work in healthcare, and the effects of chronic excess weight are terrifying. I'm tired, low energy, nothing-in-my-closet-fits, self-esteem-in-the-gutter, and I just don't want to keep crashing and burning every time. I know it sounds like I'm just trying fad diets, but I always go into it with the mindset of slow weight loss, healthy eating, and never barring myself completely from things I like (even when doing keto, I would every once in a while save my carbs for the day for some bread or pasta in my meal). So I just want to know, is there a switch that I can turn? I'm not asking for an easy fix, I know it's hard work, but how do I rewire myself and my own habits so that it's permanent when I commit to something. I have no issue committing to anything else in my life other than this so far. And if that means calling out a problematic attitude that you find in this post, so be it, because maybe I just need an outside perspective.

submitted by /u/Flimsy_Performance
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2YQ95hN

No comments:

Post a Comment