Sunday, May 26, 2019

The coolest and most unexpected NSV - love of fitness is infectious!

A week or so ago, I posted about lessons learned on my one year journey: https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/bnt1p0/one_year_in_and_beyond_my_wildest_dreams_here_are/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

One of the most amazing parts of my journey was to watch people around me start their own. My mom was one of them. She started weight watchers a bit after I started losing, and has made great progress. Yesterday, she told me she was in a size 6 Jean and small shirt. I was so proud!

Then she said something I never thought I would hear my (almost) 60 year old mother say: "I think I am going to sign up for this [running program]. Yikes!"

My mom was referring to a program offered through fleet feet which is a 10 week c25k sort of course, with focus on proper form. I was so astonished by this - my mom has never run in her life. It was one of the coolest, most amazing and courageous things I had ever heard my mother say.

I was talking to my sister about it later, and she said, "I think you have inspired her. So much health shit you have influenced." (My sister is a very eloquent person.)

I ran when I was a teen, but put it aside until last year when I started c25k at the ripe old age of 31. I had to take a break due to an injury (not running related) and subsequent ankle surgery, but have been rehabbing for a while and started running again a couple of months ago. I hit my first adult 5k last Saturday. Then again on Monday. And Thursday. And yesterday. I talk about my love of running constantly, and when I hit my first 5k, my mom was like "that fast huh? Wow!" I had no idea that she would take that information and go and look into her own program.

I am so proud of her for all of her progress, and her openness to new adventures! I am so proud and humbled that I started pushing the needle for both her and my sister. One of the coolest things about weight loss is when your adaptation and promotion of a healthy lifestyle infects others and pushes them to places they never thought they would go. Collectively, my mom, my sister, and I have lost over 155 lbs and have all pushed ourselves to do things we never thought we would have done a year ago.

I can't wait to see where we all are next year - I hope my mom tries the program and loves running as much as I do!

submitted by /u/whytheaverage
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2HDob4p

No comments:

Post a Comment